10 things to do for free in Stockholm in Autumn and Winter
The time of the year has arrived when the days grow shorter and colder. It means one enjoys walks and outdoor activities only to certain extent. For you who are visiting Stockholm in Autumn 2016 or Winter 2017 we have listed 10 things that we ourselves think they are fun to do. And what’s more they are completely FREE.
- Visiting museums is always one of the favourite tourist activities all around the world. How about visiting at least one or few of the museums offering free admission? Have a look at the list below. Which one of the 12 admission free museums would be something for you? Armémuseum, Etnografiska museet, Hallwylska museet, Historiska museet, Kungliga myntkabinettet, Livrustkammaren, Medelhavsmuseet, Moderna museet, Nationalmuseum, Naturhistoriska riksmuseet, Sjöhistoriska museet, Skoklosters slott,Statens centrum för arkitektur och design,Östasiatiska museet
- Visit Riksdag-the Swedish Parliament for free and learn about the Riksdag’s past and the present. By the way do you know Riksdag is one chamber parliament? Find out why. From September through June there are free public tours offered on Saturdays and Sundays, in English at 1.30pm. Make sure to be at the entrance several minutes before the tour starts. There are only 28 spots for each tour. http://www.riksdagen.se/en/visit-the-riksdag/
- Take a ride with one of the public ferries should not be missed when visiting Stockholm. There is one ferry that is 100% free of charge, you do not need any ticket. The ferry goes from Barnängsbryggan on the island of Södermalm and it goes to Hammarby Sjöstad. Enjoy you free ride!
- If you like libraries you should visit one of world’s most impressive libraries: Stockholm Stadsbibliotek. It is worth walking through its different reading rooms and look for several artpieces. If you happen to be in Stockholm on Santa Lucia Day, the 13th December, it is here you should experience the 30 minutes Sta Lucia concert taking place here each year. For free of course!
- You can do some walking protected from the rain, wind and snowfall. The tunnel conntecting David Bagares Gatan with the Olof Palmes Gatan is an experience in itself! No need to mention that even this is for free.
- Dive into the wealth of collections of the Nordiska Museum! From October to May Nordiska Museet offers free admission on Wednesdays from 5 to 8 pm. You can learn about Swedish Traditions and find how and why they are celebrated in Sweden.
- Visit Nobel Museum free of charge on Tuesday night and get inspired by Nobel Laureates and their invitations. On Tuesdays from 5pm the museum offers free admission to its permanent collections and temporary exhibitions. The present Exhibition: Experiment: ideas, tools and Nobel Prizes will be shown until September 2017.
- How about classical music for free? There are free lunch concerts on Fridays and evening concerts on Saturdays in S:ta Klara Church.
- Get a culinary inspiration Swedish foodsin the foodhalls at Östermalm, Hötorget or Södermalm! Yummy experience! Looking at the food is of course for free!
- Enjoy a gorgeous view for free over Stockholm’ s Old Town and the City Hall from the terrace of the rooftop bar at Scandic Hotel Klara.